Online Bachelor's Degree in Criminology and Criminal Justice

CCJ Online Advising Center

Welcome to the CCJ Online Advising Center for Portland State University’s Bachelor’s Degree in Criminology & Criminal Justice and Online Certificate programs. Below you will find all the information and links you will need as a student in these programs. If you click the links on this page some of them will expand to reveal more information on the topic. Please contact your Program Coordinator should you have any questions.

Academic Information

  • Schedule of Courses
    1. 2015-2016 Academic Calendar
  • New Student Tips
    1. Schedule a time with your Enrollment Advisor to speak to your Program Manager before you start classes. Your Program Manager will go over the specifics and help you get started in the Orientation course, so allow time to cover these topics.
    2. Be sure to log into your PSU email account If you wish to forward your email to another account, follow these instructions. You MUST regularly check your PSU email. Important messages regarding financial aid, degree requirements, graduation, etc., will be sent to that account.
    3. Make sure you have looked into/ordered your textbooks. To purchase books: or you can go through an outside source and use the ISBN numbers provided
    4. If you are using financial aid, please make sure to complete all outstanding documents and contact the Financial Aid office for any questions. For all other inquiries and methods of payment, please contact the Student Accounts office
    5. Review all emails from your Program Coordinator with information about the PSU One Card and drop deadlines for first and second five-week classes. Make sure you understand the drop deadlines for the first and second-half classes.
    6. Complete Desire to Learn (D2L) Orientation before classes start
    7. Attend the new student webinar. Date and time will be provided in advance.
    8. You can access your classes the Friday before classes start. On the first day of class make sure you log in into D2L and review your syllabus
    9. Are you prepared for class? Ready for the time commitment? Comfortable with D2L and online learning? Questions for your Program Coordinator?
    10. Review your Degree Requirements Checklist sent by your Academic Advisor and the instructions on how to run & read DARS. Make sure you understand what you will need to complete to receive your degree. If you don’t understand something, ask!
  • APA Guide
  • Sophomore Inquiry Requirement
    • Students who transfer into PSU with fewer than 90 quarter credit hours are required to complete additional UNST courses called Sophomore Inquiries (SINQ). SINQ courses are gateway classes that introduce students to the concepts, questions, methods, and other content that are to be further explored in their Junior Cluster. Sophomore Inquiry is an opportunity to explore topics of interest that are different from the CCJ major.The number of SINQs required is based on the number of transfer credits completed once you enroll in classes at PSU:
      • 75 to 89 credits = 1 SINQ
      • 60 to 74 credits = 2 SINQs
      • 45 to 59 credits = 3 SINQs

      UNST 234 Healthy People/Healthy Places is required for all students with fewer than 90 transfer credits who will later go on to complete the Healthy People/Healthy Places Junior Cluster (PHE 326, 335, &446). Online SINQ courses are available periodically through the regular campus. Check the general PSU schedule: We highly recommend that you work to complete this requirement as soon as possible. Putting it off may delay graduation! Please note that students taking online classes outside of the CCJO program and those taking courses on campus will be assessed standard university tuition and fees rather than the CCJO rates. For out-of-state students this will mean considerably higher costs.

  • Registration
    1. Go to or
    2. Enter your PSU username and password. For login help, call the OIT Help Desk at 503 725-HELP (local) or 1-800-547-8887 ext. 4357.
    3. Click on the “Student” tab then click on “add or drop classes” then select the current term
    4. Enter the CRN #s for your courses. Do not search for our classes or CRN numbers; you will not find them this way.
    5. The CRN numbers will be provided to you by the Program Coordinator in an email every term once registration opens. CCJ Online classes do not fill up.
  • Drop/withdrawal refund Policy
    • Consistent with the rest of the University, the CCJO operates on a quarter system using the PSU Academic Calendar. To accommodate the busy schedules of our online students we have organized some courses so that the actual class work happens in either the first half or the second half of the quarter. Nevertheless, the university deadlines for adding, dropping, withdrawing, and seeking refunds are based on the PSU Academic Calendar. These deadlines apply to all courses regardless of whether the primary work is scheduled for the first five or second five weeks of the term. In other words, the final day to receive a full refund for a dropped course (i.e., end of week 1) applies to all classes, even those where the coursework doesn’t fully begin until week six. The Program Coordinator will email all students the deadlines you need to be aware of for the term.
  • Grade/Incomplete Policy
    • All CCJ courses used to satisfy major requirements must be passed with a “C” or better. The instructor may issue a grade of I (for Incomplete) when certain criteria have been met and satisfactory student-instructor arrangements have been made. I grades are not included when calculating GPA. The deadline for completion of an Incomplete in an undergraduate course is one calendar year. The instructor may set a shorter deadline, which is binding. An agreement to a longer period is by petition to the Scholastic Standards Committee. Failure to make up the Incomplete by the end of one year will result in the mark of I automatically changing to a grade of F or NP, depending on the grading option chosen by the student at registration. For graduating students, Incompletes awarded in undergraduate courses will automatically change to a grade of F or NP before conferral of the degree. The faculty of record must file supplemental grade changes no later than 30 days after the degree is awarded. Grades of F or NP will remain on the academic record after the degree is awarded and cannot be removed. In cases when a student’s inability to complete the work by the deadline is due to extraordinary circumstances, such as catastrophic injury or illness, petition may be made to the Scholastic Standards Committee, which will review the case to determine appropriate action.”
  • Graduation Information
    • Students need to begin planning for graduation two terms ahead of time.
      • Step 1:
        Go to the Graduation & Commencement Website:
      • Step 2:
        Run your DARS to assess your degree requirements. Call your Academic Advisor at 503-725-5131 to review your application. If you will be transferring in credit during your last term, you must alert your Academic Advisor to minimize delays.
      • Step 3:
        Submit Application for Undergraduate Degree to your Academic Advisor. Do not submit directly to PSU. The $20 degree application fee will be charged to your account. Under “Major(s) Sought” write “Online Criminology & Criminal Justice”.
      • Note: The CCJO certificates require a separate application which can be found on this page. Diplomas can be mailed or picked up in Neuberger Hall 104. PSU will notify you by mail when your diploma is available.
  • How to finish your sciences
    • If you are pursuing the BS in Criminology and Criminal Justice you need a total of 12 science credits, 8 of which have to be with a lab.
    • Online science courses at PSU are very limited. You may find it more convenient/necessary to complete this requirement with courses taken at an accredited local community college.
    • You also have the option of completing your requirement at one of PSU’s 9 partner community colleges as a formally co-admitted student:
      Co-admission is useful because financial aid can be used at both schools. Chemeketa & Clackamas Community Colleges are frequently chosen because they offer many online courses, including online science. However, their courses are also very popular and securing a spot can be difficult.
    • You can contact the Academic Advisor for a list of possible science classes. To have a class verified, please send the Academic Advisor the school name, course number & name, and course description. Any classes not pre-approved may not fulfill the BS degree requirements. Note: Make sure that the number of credits earned from the course matches the number of credits needed for the requirement.
    • If you are unsure of what you have outstanding for your BS degree requirements, please refer to your DARS report or ask the Academic Advisor. It is your responsibility to make sure you understand your requirements. Make plans to complete any outstanding BS degree requirements as soon as possible. Do not put these off till the end of your studies! Doing so may cause your graduation to be delayed.
    • Bachelor of Science Requirements (28 credits)
      • 12 credits in sciences (8 of the 12 science credits must be coursework with lab or fieldwork)
      • 12 credits in arts/letters and/or social sciences
      • 4 credits in college-level math/statistics (excluding math 100 or lower)
    • Examples of courses in each category
      Arts and Letters Sciences Social Sciences
      Applied Linguistics, Architecture, Art, Arts & Letters, Dance, English/Writing, Foreign Languages & Literature, Humanities, Music, Philosophy, Speech Communication, Speech & Hearing Sciences, Theater Arts Fine and Performing Arts Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology, Physics Administration of Justice, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Anthropology, Child & Family Studies, Community Development, Economics, Geography, History, International Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Social Science, Sociology, Urban Studies & Planning, Women’s Studies
  • Math Placement Tutorial
  • CCJO Degree Maps
  • Student Health Insurance
    1. CCJ Online courses are assessed tuition and fees separate from regular PSU courses. CCJO does not include Incidental or Health Services fees; therefore, CCJO students are not eligible to use services supported by those fees, including insurance.
    2. CCJO courses do not count toward the Student Health Insurance Requirement. CCJO students do not pay the Student Health Insurance Fee or show proof of insurance.
    3. However, if a CCJO student enrolls in 5 or more PSU credits outside of the CCJO curriculum in a given term, the Student Health Insurance Requirement will apply, along with standard university tuition and fees. Out-of-state students would be charged non-resident tuition.
    4. See here for more information regarding Student Health Insurance:

Frequently used forms

PSU Contacts

  • For Technical Support
    • For login help, call the OIT Help Desk at 503 725-HELP (local) or 1-800-547-8887 ext. 4357.
    • For all other technical support questions call the CCJO Help Line at 503-725-2256 or toll-free at 1-800-547-8887, press “2,” then press 52256. Select option 2 for technical support. You may also email
    • CCJO Help Line hours are Mon-Fri 10am-4pm Pacific Time. For after-hours support please record a message for a return call the next business day. Please include your name, call back number, and the best time to reach you.
  • Student Accounts
    • 503-725-3440
  • Degree Requirements
    • 503-725-3438
  • Undergraduate Advising Student Center
    • 503-725-4005
  • Veteran Services

Financial Aid

    • Much of the information and forms you need for financial aid are available on the PSU website at
    • In addition, you may call or email the Financial Aid Office if you still have questions: Or, call the Criminology and Criminal Justice Online Program at 503-725-2256 or toll-free at 1-800-547-8887, press “2,” then press  52256. Select option 1 for Financial Aid.  Please record a message for a return call and include your name, student ID, call back number, and the best time to reach you.
    • To Complete your FAFSA, click here


        1. Visit and request a Personal Identification Number (PIN)
        2. Go to and fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA). Be sure to complete the correct aid year. You will need copies of the prior year’s
          income tax return; if you do not have these available you may request a transcript of taxes
          be faxed to you by calling the IRS at 800-829-1040. University School Code: 003216
        3. FAFSA Follow-up: You may retrieve a student loan history from the National Student Loan Data System, located at the following website: